Re: Ademco Vista-15 Install Manual

> Installation/programming manuals are hardly ever
> given to the end user...for good reasons too - they're
> written in Alarmglish and one mistake in programming
> and you may render the panel totally useless.

That's one of the reasons.  The other is that without the manual
the client will need the installer for any changes or additions
the system may require in future.

I always left the manuals, along with any drawings and job notes
in a large, plastic envelop inside the control panel cabinet.
This made it easy to service since the proper manual for the
particular panel in use was always on site.  Occasionally
manufacturers issue new versions of the manuals with version
upgrades of the panels.  If the original manual is kept on
premises the service technician doesn't have to concern himself
with searching the truck for the right paperwork.

There is a similar divergence of opinion regarding disclosure of
the panel programming access code.  I like to keep that in the
panel as well.  If the client wanted to know the code, I'd
explain the possible consequences of programming errors and then
give it to him.

Most customers who purchase installed systems don't want to
program the systems themselves.  Some realize, however, that
without that code they are subject to the whim of the installing
company.  Giving them full access to the panel helps to alleviate
any concerns they may have, albeit at the expense of the alarm
company's own concerns.  :^)

For clarity's sake, I'm not saying that Crash is doing something
wrong -- only that we do things differently.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.