Re: Ademco Vista-15 Install Manual

> One of my installers almost burned a house down with a 12v 7amp battery when
> he was doing an install...I got there just as the smoke was exiting the
> front door. He was in the back bedroom when I came in the front door. Small
> scrap of wire had shorted the battery terminals. It was just about to flame
> when I walked in. Those batteries can be dangerous. Kindling temp of paper
> is 451 f...remember the novel?

Yes, I do remember.  It's science fiction.  Your tech almost
caused a fire by shorting out a battery.  That was not due to the
presence of paper in the cabinet.  In fact, such an event causes
an almost instantaneous burn as the wire heats up in a split
second.  I know because the same thing happened to me once when I
inadvertently miswired a second battery to a Napco battery
harness (the same device about which I posted a really dumb
mistake a year or so ago:)).  Fortunately, that happened on the
bench in my office.  The copper wire turned white hot, burned off
the insulation and incinerated itself.  Inside the panel this
would never happen since the wires don't get moved around after
the door is shut.

During the normal course of use the panel will not heat up and
neither will the battery.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.