Re: ADT Essential Wireless Package

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:FuedndV8naxWs1HZnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> Any average installation company, with
>>> any experience in this trade, doesn't
>>> advertise in the yellow pages...
>
> Anyone running a local installation company, looking for business from the
> general public, who does *not* advertise in the yellow pages is an idiot.
> The first place most potentioal buyers of residential security systems
> look is the yellow pages.
>
>>> So .... in fact, anyone who's advertising in
>>> them is either a large company who's got
>>> the deep pockets to do it and doesn't miss
>>> the exobitant amount of money they cost,...
>
> I ran a small, modestly successful alarm company for many years.  We ran
> 1/4 and 1/2-page ads in the yellow pages in the greater Hartford, CT area.
> Monthly cost was $1,000. or so.  Virtually every competitor in the region
> ran YP ads for one simple reason.  They work.  Every knowledgeable
> businessman knows this.  Done right, YP advertising can be extremely
> effective.
>
> The only alarm companies that did not run YP ads were the con artists like
> Fowler who used deceptive telemarketing to run their scams.
>
>> for the mininimal response gleaned from them...
>
> Spoken like someone who doesn't know how to write an ad.
>
>>> Here's a little game for YOU to play.
>>>
>>> Find my company name in a phone book.
>
> Sure thing.  What's the name?  Oh, that's right.  I forgot.  Jiminex is
> afraid to use his real name or give out any information about himself
> here.
>
>>> Nah, don't bother. Yet ....... I've been in
>>> this industry for 36 years, have an unlisted
>>> telephone number...
>
> ... hide behind an alias and a phony email address, etc.
>
>>> By the way, keep in mind that "this trade" is
>>> composed of primarily small alarm installation
>>> companys, who make up the majority of the
>>> trade, and install more systems and monitor
>>> more accounts than all of the "mega" companys (sic)
>>> put together.
>
> Heh, heh, heh.  Not likely.

As a consumer I was exposed to a frustrating time consuming double talking
experience talking w/ independents, brinks, slomin's(sp), etc.  If consumers
report had evaluated alarm companies I would've picked their top choice and
been done w/ it.
I've got real empathy for you guys staying in business in a cut throat
environment.   OTOH,
how much effort is a person supposed to put into this before picking up the
phone and calling a company like ADT. . . . .
I would have much preferred to deal w/ an independent but it's not in the
cards right now.
I've got other things I need to spend my time on.