Re: ADT Essential Wireless Package

ADT resi contracts are three years not five.  Most local companies
have a similar terms.  The contract is subject to escalation over time
like most long term service contracts.  Without the escalation, the
alarmco would be losing money over time due to inflation.  With the
CPI increasing by about 4% per year, ADT and other companies are
justified in doing this.  ADT's current US corporate residential plan
provides the equipment as an outright purchase.  The customer owns the
equipment once they pay the installation invoice.  Pricing is
certainly not double what most local competitors are charging
nationwide save the occasional company out buying customers.  In many
areas ADT uses qualified subcontractors on residential, commercial,
and government work.  Sometimes these subs provide services that
aren't core to ADT's business model like installing large amounts of
conduit, providing high voltage power drops, or trenching long
distances.  Other times subs are used to help with a substantial
backlog or with very large jobs.  ADT has a relationship with a
contracting company called Carter Brothers that does quite a bit of
commercial and national account work.  Using subcontractors is pretty
much a standard industry practice and is done by most decent size
companies.  However, ADT does not subcontract repair service,account
services, or monitoring like many other companies do.  Regardless of
who installs the system, ADT does have the responsibility to ensure
its done correctly.  To the o.p., call a few other companies and see
what they have to offer.  Remember to ask them who owns the system
once its installed, who monitors it, do they have a 24 hour manned
help/ service line, is their central station backed up by another, who
does their repair service, is their central station UL listed, how
long have they been around, how big is their customer base, etc.