Re: Never had an alarm before but...

T. Lee wrote:
> Wal-mart may well start selling security systems and already sells some
> inexpensive (meaning i wouldn't bother installing one) wireless cameras.
> however they will never replace those of us who know how to properly install
> and maintain quality alarm systems.

Same goes for cameras.  We've quoted plenty of homeowners and
mom-and-pop stores who are aghast at the idea of $300-$500 per camera,
$600 for a time-lapse VCR, and $3000 and up for a DVR, when they can go
down to their local Costco and pick up a setup with four B&W cameras, a
9" monitor and built-in VCR, for about $200.

The justice is when they call back later wondering how they can set up
those cameras to see anything at night without the aid of a pair of 500W
floodlights, or why the guy standing right in front of the camera in
broad daylight is unrecognizable on playback.

The answer, of course, is that's the difference between the $200 system
and the $4000 system...

Of course, if they wanna do the cool stuff like zooming in on Will
Smith's shopping bag from a satellite, like you see in the movies...
well we can do that too... if you wanna tack a couple more zeros on the
price.  You're not gonna get that with your $200 "package" system.

> "Alarm Guy" <Alarm@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>>That doesn't surprise me so much as that a lot of guys seem
>>>to think we owe it to them.   I don't mind giving a little
>>>free advice from time to time, but I sure as heck don't "owe"
>>>it to somebody who's clear intent is to use it so they
>>>don't have to buy anything from me or anybody like me.
>>
>>The whole point of usenet was to share information about different
>>topics.  If you're not going to do that, you might as well be reading
>>and posting to "alt.shoot.the.shit" or go to some private, invite-only
>>web forum where DIY'ers are not allowed.
>>
>>Truth is, you alarm guys are dinosaurs.  The alarm hardware companies
>>and monitoring companies are merging and being bought up by big
>>players.  They are building more and more wireless and smart
>>sensors.   The big players want to cut labor costs, so they will (and
>>are) designing hardware that can be installed by a teenager.  They
>>will be (or already are) giving the hardware away for free just to get
>>the monthly revenue.
>>
>>It used to be that only a Bell tech could wire up a telephone
>>extension in your house.  It used to be that you could only RENT a
>>phone from Bell.  Won't be long until you guys will be talking about
>>the good-old-days, where you had the corner on the alarm hardware and
>>installation market.
>>
>>Wait till WalMart starts selling the panels and sensors.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0602-3, 01/13/2006
Tested on: 1/13/2006 10:04:26 PM