Re: Never had an alarm before but...

> The whole point of usenet was to share information about different
> topics.  If you're not going to do that, you might as well be reading
> and posting to "alt.shoot.the.shit" or go to some private, invite-only
> web forum where DIY'ers are not allowed.

Some of the worst offenders here actually tried to ban posts
about DIY sales several years ago.  They didn't understand USENET
then and apparently still don't.

> Truth is, you alarm guys are dinosaurs.

:^)

> The alarm hardware companies
> and monitoring companies are merging and being bought up by big
> players.  They are building more and more wireless and smart
> sensors.   The big players want to cut labor costs, so they will (and
> are) designing hardware that can be installed by a teenager.  They
> will be (or already are) giving the hardware away for free just to get
> the monthly revenue.

Some alarm guys actually are teenagers.  :^)

> It used to be that only a Bell tech could wire up a telephone
> extension in your house.  It used to be that you could only RENT a
> phone from Bell.

Yep.  And you could order it in whatever color you wanted as long
as you only liked black.

> Won't be long until you guys will be talking about the
> good-old-days, where you had the corner on the alarm
> hardware and installation market.

There already are hundreds of online stores (including mine) that
sell professional alarm systems to DIYers.

> Wait till WalMart starts selling the panels and sensors.

True, but fortunately for folks like me, Walmart doesn't give
tech support.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass