Re: Never had an alarm before but...

> I'm just beginning to research home security systems.  It is quite
> bewildering, and salespeople are not much use as a source of unbiased
> information, to say the least.

:^)

> I've not had much luck finding a place on the internet where I can read
> reviews of the different types of system, reviews of monitoring companies
> etc.

There really aren't any unbiased sites.

> I was a bit put off by a guy from ADT who offered my "over 1200 dollars
> worth" of hardware (but only if I signed up today), and what amounted to
> $42.00 / mo for monitoring.  ($CDN here).

That's all too common.  You end up paying several times what the system is
worth and the contract is only slightly more binding than a contract with
Lucifer.

> Can't I just by the best hardware, install it myself and pay somebody to
> monitor it?  Surely if I can build computers, I can install other
> electronics.

You can order a system from one of several hundred online stores.  Alarm
installation is not rocket science.  Anyone with a modicum of intelligence
and a bit of patience can handle it.  A professional installer might get the
job done faster and *some* might do a neater, more professional looking job,
but you really can't tell what you'll get based on the salesman's pitch.
There are good and bad installers working for large and small companies so
the size of the firm means little either.

> Or is there more to this than I can even imagine?

Not really.  Some folks who make their living installing and monitoring
alarms might like you to think so though.

> I no so little about this whole thing I don't even know what I don't know.

You could start to learn by browsing some of the manufacturers' and dealers'
websites.  That will give you an idea what kind of systems are available and
what types of features exist.  I own one of the larger online alarm stores
and (naturally) I'd encourage you to browse it.  If you'd like to discuss
your needs, feel free to call my office during the week.  Note that I'll be
traveling Wednesday through Thursday of this week (Jan 11-12, 2006) though.
I should be available again by Friday afternoon.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics