Re: Looking for a basic alarm system

Crash Gordon wrote:
> I stopped counting in binary when I removed the last Napco 800 (I still have
> the stupid programmer). My point is this is 2006 there's absolutely no
> reason we should be adding/programming with binary/hex or whatever...its
> dumb.

My point was that if you knew how to count binary then "understanding"
Napco programing was easy. You don't really have to count in binary to
progam them.
I guess because it's so second nature to me to program them now, it's
as easy as I'll ever need it to be. Someone who's comparing it to say
..... cell phone style messaging, is certainly going to have a problem
with it.

> IMO a panel should be easy to program fully from the keypad in english (or
> some semblence of english or alarmlish).

It doesn't matter to me.

> I've never had any real probs with Napco on the ones I have though. Dunno
> what panel I'd like to eval. since I don't keep up with their stuff. My
> basic panels are the Vista 10P, 20P for anything bigger I go with another
> product.

I've found them to be VERY reliable. I just replaced a working 800 the
other day. Only because the owner was doing an addition to their home.
I think it was installed in 82. Same keypads, the old mechanical 39
magnetic contacts, 116 door push buttons. Even a 714 Ademco siren
driver blaster module and a DS PIR the size of a half a loaf of bread.
Worked all those years and still tickin. Actually I've got dozens and
dozens of old panels down in the "tomb" that I've replaced through the
years and they're were all still working  when they were pulled. I
can't remember when I've had a panel bad out of the box or had to have
repaired. Years ago.

If you ARE interested, probably the Gemini 1632 would be a good panel
to try. Since I don't use Ademco, I don't know what it would be
equivalent to. I don't remember where you're located but if you want,
let me know and I could find out who the rep is in your area so you
could get in touch.