Re: Looking for a basic alarm system

Crash Gordon wrote:
> They were all take overs, so the struggle to program them didn't endear me
> to want to continue using the product. Maybe one day Napco will send me a
> evaluation panel for me to play with :-)

What kind of panel would you be interested in evaluating? I'm sure
they'd be willing to send you something if they were asked. ( I could
ask if you don't want to)

As you can surmise, the programing is just "different" not actually
difficult. If you you can grasp the concept of counting in binary ( if
you don't know how, it's very simple, once it's explained) then Napco
programing becomes very simple to understand. With a laptop it's no
problem whatsoever. The best thing about Napco is that it gives you a
versatility to do just about anything you'd ever be asked to do by a
client. Obviously, you don't always need to do "everything" but it's a
great feeling of confidence to know that pretty much anything a client
may come up with, you can do it. I've been using it since the 80's.
Pretty rock solid, in my opinion. In recent years they've tried to
simplify the programing, especially in the low end panels ( which I
don't use). It seems to be a tendency in the industry to reduce
programing complexity down to the level of a three year old. In my
opinion, I think that it's an effort to keep up with the downward slide
of  competence in what passes for installers nowdays.

When ever I go to do a service call on an older system for someone,
who's not already my client, the guy before me has usually told them
the system should be replaced. Only because they don't want to "work"
on programing. That's another thing I've noticed too. Since I can
program Napco, there's not a panel out there that I've come across,
that I can't comprehend the programing in a relatively short time. I
think that if someone has only ever experienced programing simply
programed panels, it seems that their comprehension of other panels
programing is never developed.

Just an observation.