Re: Never had an alarm before but...

Interesting observation Bob !!  There's another breed of quasi "installers"
that can cause a lot of problems that I am starting to run up against. These
are people who have installed one or two alarms for friends and decide that
they are now experts, and have decided to install alarms "on the side" to
supplement their income. They generally know just enough to be dangerous.
And since there is no licensing or any restrictions whatsoever up here, the
market is wide open for this sort of thing.

I had two instances recently where the homeowners went to a chap who worked
installing alarms on the side in order to save big money over what I had
quoted for the installation. Then the client was going to come back to me to
save on the monitoring, since the guy that did the work wasn't interested in
the monitoring, didn't have an account with any station, and didn't want to
have anything to do with monitoring. Since I charge BIG time for the
installation so that I am able to save the client money on the monitoring,
the clients thought they'd get someone else to install it for far less
money, and then come to me for the monitoring vis a vis the same way as I
would do a takeover. This way they'd save at both ends....

Well as it turned out, the guy spent a lot of time with me on the phone just
getting the basics down...how to on keypad zones, programming etc. If the
two people hadn't been my customers in their old homes, I would have walked
away from everything, but as it was, I felt a bit committed. When I went to
put the client on line, I was flabbergasted at the poor quality of work, and
had him do a lot of it over again. Even his choice of panels and motions
left a lot to be desired (IMO).!!

So the client saved a few hundred dollars up front and ended up with a mess
of a system. I told him the systems were so poorly installed that my usual
complete warranty didn't apply for problems caused by poor installation.
Plus I'm going to insist we "trial" it on the station for a few weeks before
it goes live. And he is going to have to return to fix any installation
related problems that crop up before it goes off test..

Penny wise and pound foolish !!

RHC

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html