Re: Never had an alarm before but...

"Bob La Londe" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ydSdnVMVv8eyHlveRVn-pQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "mikey" <loismustdie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > These ingrates get free advice and have the gall to bitch about it...
> > amazing indeed.
>
> That doesn't surprise me so much as that a lot of guys seem to think we
owe
> it to them.
>
> I don't mind giving a little free advice from time to time, but I sure as
> heck don't "owe" it to somebody who's clear intent is to use it so they
> don't have to buy anything from me or anybody like me.

Makes you feel like you are shooting yourself in the foot doesn't it? They
can't find a manufactures website to get their questions answered, tech
support won't help them if they aren't a dealer (wonder why), so they come
here. They are tinkerers that will mess with anything they can get their
hands on, (did you ever take apart a clock or a radio when you were a kid?
Were you able to put it back together and have it work as intended?), or
hobbyist that will get tired of this new found pass time after about 20
minutes in the attic, or just plain cheap asses that will risk family and
fortune to save a buck, especially at todays prices. I'll help any other in
the trade but won't give free advice to the public, which might lead them to
believe they can install something they think is first class, get some
monitoring center somewhere out of cyber space for $1.00 a month and cause
more problems than the industry already has with the PD's. Either that or
have poor little old Ms. Betty, their neighbor, go check their home because
they received a "whatever" call on there cell phone, putting her in possible
harms way. What are these people thinking. Whatever it is, I try to stay
clear of them and their thought process. Don't take just this industry, but
any industry, there is a very and I capitolize VERY small percentage of DIY
work that is up to professional standards. The rest is pure garbage, not
designed properly, easily recognized as DIY work, didn't pull a permit,
doesn't get inspected, and is usually incomplete (forever). But hey, they
saved a buck, passed some time and are proud to say, "Now I know everything
about the alarm business. I read on this NG that its not rocket science and
only takes a modicum of intelligence, so I'll do your system and save you
some money. Hmmm....side business, extra money, ching ching!! Let them find
bASS and keep an arms length away. I wonder if there might be some liability
for given info if things go bad? I want to check on that.