Re: Best place to buy parts for those of us who don't have a dealers license ?

Good reply. My point is stands, though. How many times have you seen a smoke
detector right next to an attic fan? Or right outside a bathroom door?
(Steamy shower, anyone?)

Sounds like you're making a good attempt at educating the average person the
best you can, helping to plan the system with them, which is commendable.
But to say that those installations are every bit as comprehensively
designed as one you or I would design if we had access to the premises, and
the myriad of variables each premises presents, is inaccurate.

I'm not anti-DIY. I am
anti-telling-them-it's-exactly-the-same-so-I-can-make-a-profit. It's my
reponsibility as an alarm professional to inform my customers of their
options, and point out things which help maximize their level of protection.
Most DIY'ers are already convinced that they ARE going to do it themselves,
so the only thing I can do is give them the information that they need in a
non-judgemental way. The only way to get the best system possible for a
DIY'er, is to have a qualified person design it by visiting the site. This
is also important information that they need to hear- we kmow they aren't
going to follow it, but it's my responsibility to tell them, because it's
what I believe.