Re: Best place to buy parts for those of us who don't have a dealers license ?

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:54:51 GMT, "Stanley Barthfarkle"
<sbarth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Good reply. My point is stands, though. How many times have you seen a smoke
> detector right next to an attic fan? Or right outside a bathroom door?
> (Steamy shower, anyone?)

I've lost count.  Every time it was a professionally installed
system.  I *always* explain to DIYers why they should not do
that.

> Sounds like you're making a good attempt at educating the
> average person the best you can, helping to plan the system
> with them, which is commendable.

Thanks.  I do the best I can.  From what you've said so far, it
appears you've got a similar attitude toward your side of the
trade.  That's the way it's supposed to be.

> But to say that those installations are every bit as compre-
> hensively designed as one you or I would design if we had
> access to the premises, and the myriad of variables each
> premises presents, is inaccurate.

How many times have you planned a job from prints long before the
home was built?  I can't speak for others but I've done so
hundreds of times over the years.  I use the same parameters in
evaluating prints and plans for a customer as I used to when
planning my own installations.

Sometimes things change though.  The customer may decide to
change a window out for French doors (are we now supposed to call
them "freedom" doors?  :^)).  Sometimes a window is added where
none was planned.  Just as I would when planning my own job, I
tell clients that if they change the job after I spec it out they
need to consult with me to make certain their changes won't
negatively affect the alarm system.

> I'm not anti-DIY...

That was not my read.  You sound like you sincerely believe in
what you do.  That portends good for your clients.  Regardless
what certain moron "professionals" who've never met either of us
may say, I do the same.

Is DIY the same as professional installation.  Definitely not.
Are some DIY jobs better than some professionally installed
systems?  Without question many are.  Are some worse?  Of course.
Clients, like installers, come with a diversity of skills levels,
attitudes and work ethics.  Some are DIYers and some paid
installers are devoid of all three.  Some are competent, patient
and very sharp.

I've seen the results, across the board, of DIY and paid
technicians' work.  Some of both are unspeakably bad.  Some jobs,
both pro and DIY, are magnificent.

> I am anti-telling-them-it's-exactly-the-same-so-I-can-make-a-profit.

So am I.  But I've proven time and again that I can teach any
reasonably intelligent person who has the patience to listen to
and follow professional advice how to do a competent, proficient
job of protecting his home.  It might take the DIYer twice as
long as you and his work might not be quite as elegant, but I can
teach him to do a competent job.  For most DIYers that is enough.

> It's my reponsibility as an alarm professional to inform my
> customers of their options, and point out things which help
> maximize their level of protection.

Same here.  The only difference is I need to spend more time
discussing it with the client than you do.  Once you've scoped
out the job you can write up the plan and (assuming they pay the
deposit) start the work.  I have to explain everything in exact
detail and (sometimes) walk them through it.

> Most DIY'ers are already convinced that they ARE going to
> do it themselves, so the only thing I can do is give them the
> information that they need in a non-judgemental way...

Nothing wrong with that.

> The only way to get the best system possible for a DIY'er,
> is to have a qualified person design it by visiting the site...

On that we disagree, mainly because (1) the consumer has no way
to evaluate the professional qualifications of the guy on site;
and (2) most professional installers are not at all interested in
visiting a site to tell the end user what he needs and how to
install it.  Worse, way too many brick 'n' mortar alarm company
salesmen have less of a clue than the typical DIYer.

> ... it's my responsibility to tell them, because it's what I believe.

That's a far sight better than characters like Olson recommending
a bunch of companies he knows nothing about.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms