Re: Best place to buy parts for those of us who don't have a dealers license ?

> Sure, if you are using a downloader.  I thought we were talking hand
> programming...

I didn't realize you only meant programming by hand.  In that
case, I wouldn't even consider the P3200 or larger Napco panels.
The easiest current panel to program by hand that I've done was
the DSC Power832.  The first time I programmed one was for a
DIYer in CT who was having trouble understanding it.  He was a
fireman working in my town.  I opened the programming
instructions for the first time and wrote the program in less
than 30 minutes.

Ademco Vista panels aren't bad for keypad programming.  DIYers do
them every day with little or no trouble.  With Napco I always
suggest they get the PCI-Mini and the free Napco software.  As
many Napco panels as I've done, I still won't hand program them.

> We do alomost all our programming in the field.  Especially the smaller
> panels.  There are a few laptops floating around for the bigger panels
> but I never seem to have one when I am installing one... go figure...

I issued laptops to each installer, not just for programming new
installations but also for service calls.  You can often get a
better picture of what's going on with an installation by
downloading the panel's history.  Sometimes that's the only way
to discover a problem because non-DIY end users don't always
remember what they did before a false alarm was triggered.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms