Re: I'm sorry we don't provide service for...

Following is an alternate solution which has worked for one small
alarm company in the past, typically on a Sunday morning or
during the middle of a holiday weekend.

Ring...

Them (with 90+ days past due balance):  "The alarm is beeping.
Can you help us."

Alarmco: "Certainly.  We'll be right over.  We will need to have
your check for the past due balance plus the service charge for
today's visit plus the price of the battery when we arrive."

The response was invariably affirmative.  On one occasion the
client tried to duck when the service man arrived, pretending he
had to "run to the store" and would be right back with the check.
Alarmco told him to call when he got back and they would return
to fix his alarm.  He sat down and wrote the check.

Other than that the few times alarmco had to do this the check
was handed over upon arrival.  Technician wouldn't even bring
tool kit from the truck until the check was in hand though.

One time a customer paid for a service visit with a rubber check.
Alarmco called him several times at his store to inform him the
check had bounced.  His wife / business partner would always
insist he wasn't around but she'd "give him the message."  This
got a little old so after a month or so alarmco called him at
home.  The wife again answered.  Alarmco explained they were
about to cancel the monitoring service and would no longer
service the system.

Client, who supposedly wasn't home at the time, got on the phone
and began cursing.  Alarmco offered to disable alarm and cancel
the debt.  Client said, "Go ahead. I don't give a #### what you
do."

Next morning:  Client opens door to store and horn sounds
immediately.  Client enters code.  Nothing.  Enters code again.
Nothing.

Ring....

Client: "Hello, this is [client].  I need someone to service my
alarm."

Alarmco: "Sure thing.  There will be a fee of $70 for the service
visit PLUS the past due balance PLUS the $30 returned check fee."

Client: "No problem.  I have my checkbook..."

Alarmco: "Fees are payable in cash at the time the technician
arrives."

Client: "[jiminism deleted]...  Oh, alright!  When can you get
here?"

Alarmco: "would you prefer an afternoon or morning visit?"  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms