Re: DSC 5020? 5200 power supply needed?

J Barnes wrote:
> I disagree with you that a bad battery will not burn things up.  I have seen
> this many times with these controls.  I think it just adds enough stress to
> the power supply that if the Aux power is at its limit with devices it will
> burn it up..  I also had many go bad due to the bad bridges.

I've had this experience as well.  The condition of the battery wasn't a
factor, however.  On the 5010, if you exceed it's rated aux power,
you'll find that portion of the board around the heat sink gets really
warm.  Couple this to a poor installation location (boiler room or
unventilated closet) and you risk losing the power supply (or shortening
it's life).  For the few extra bucks involved, we always use the
additional supervised power supply whenever the load imposed by
connected field devices exceeds 400 mA.  That's also written "in stone"
in our procedures manual.  I've only lost three 5010's to "bad bridges".