Re: DSC 5020? 5200 power supply needed?

James Russo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	A couple of things jump out of the PC5020 installation manual at me.
> Can come of you with more experienced school a young guy?
>
> For the Fire Bell/Siren output it says "700 mA Maximum", but then in the
> text it says "current limit 3Amps". Can someone explain this one for me?
> Can you load it with more then 700mA output?  Right now I am looking at
> about 1.2A (or 700mA on low-current for Elk-150RT), + 210mA for ELK-SL
> strobe, and 480mA for Elk-71 interior siren. So, total is 1.89A for
> siren output or 1.39 in a low-current setting.
>
> For the AUX it says 550mA with a note saying cannot exceed 420mA for
> 24hr standby. This is then shared between any PGM outputs and any
> devices connected to AUX. So, with the 5500Z KP, 3 GBs, 3 motions I am
> at about 490mA. Which is lower then the 550mA, but higher then the 24
> hour standby limit of 420. I think this means that it will not give me
> 24hrs of standby without power with those items connected.
>
> Anyone think that the PC5200 power supply module would be required on
> this job?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -jr

You can reliably power a siren(s) drawing 1.5 to 2.0 amps for four
minutes as long as your battery is in good shape.  You have to realize
that any current the siren circuit needs in excess of what the power
supply can deliver is drawn directly from the battery (that's why they
only recommend "short periods").  As for your particular setup, adding
another power supply is recommended because it's been my experience that
what the manufacturer states a device draws isn't always what it
actually uses (they vary by a few milli-amps here and there) and you're
close enough to the max allowable.

Bass has no experience installing or servicing DSC products and I doubt
he would be able to talk to anyone at tech support because he got
"nailed" stealing their downloading software.