Re: wire vs wired

> The Company I work for balances the man hours it will
> (probably) require to run a wire -vs- the cost of the
> wireless component and that is the determining factor.
> If a salesman spec's a wired door contact in a door over
> a finished basement with no way to go up - we put in
> wireless.

When there's no viable alternative, wireless is acceptable.  To
say (as some here do) that the two are equal is simply untrue.
Good quality, hard-wired sensors can last twenty, thirty years or
more.  Equal quality wireless components become trash as soon as
the first component in the system fails after the manufacturer
discontinues support of the line.

Several years ago DSC decided to switch from 900 MHz to 433 MHz
wireless because the latter is less expensive to make.  Within
two years -- less than the warranty period of any decent alarm
company -- they stopped supporting 900 MHz.  That left thousands
of dealers with tens of thousands of customers in the lurch.  The
first time one 900 MHz RF transmitter or receiver fails the
vict... er, client has to pay to replace *all* his RF
transmitters plus the receiver.

Replacing batteries isn't much of an issue with modern
transmitters.  Most will give a warning at the keypad and at the
monitoring center when a battery needs replacement.

Another issue is the appearance of an RF alarm system.  Wired
sensors can often be hidden from view, recessed in door and
window frames.  There are also wired motion detectors that can
fit in a small hole in the sheet rock, leaving only a small,
discreet "eye" visible.

IntelliSense (Honeywell) makes a model FG-1625RFM glass break
detector that fits in a hole in the sheet rock as well.  The
visible part is a thin, white disc about the size of a silver
dollar.

Most* wireless door and window sensors and all wireless motion
and glass break detectors involve highly visible, plastic boxes
all over the house.  This can significantly degrade WAF.

*Exceptions: Ademco, ITI and Napco each now offer recessed
wireless door / window transmitters.  These need to be carefully
tested before installation as placement can sometimes be
critical.  There's a fairly large hole involved too, so they
can't be used on most modern windows.  They're primarily intended
for use on doors.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass