Re: PR: Dedicated Micros now available on Bass Burglar Alarms website

> I have to agree. While I've only done 10 or so, usually you try and
> keep things simple. There's a guy named Hirschxxx that does articles on
> web site usability. Most people have learned their lesson and keep away
> from A. objects that require downloading an attachment (adobe is about
> the only exception)   B. Confusion on the pages .. keep your tree
> simple.

I agree.  I've very deliberately designed the menu tree to lead
visitors quickly to what they seek.  I've also implemented a
fast, on-site search engine.  I get compliments virtually every
day from clients who like the design of the website.  In short,
just because the website is huge does not necessarily make it
difficult to navigate.

I'm also developing special complete system pages for each major
product group.  These pages allow a visitor to select (for
example) an alarm master control panel plus different quantities
of keypads, zone expanders, sirens, strobes, magnetic contacts,
motion, glass break and smoke detectors all at once, then click
"Buy Now" and move the entire selection en masse to the shopping
cart.  This makes it easier for customers to select compatible
components on a single page.  It also allows customer support
staff to process phone orders very quickly without needing to
browse from page to page.

There are a few bits of code remaining to be done to make this
work smoothly but I expect to have it completed shortly.  As I
code the pages I will include tips on selection and application
of each product group directly above the pages -- kind of a
"shopping tutorial" design.

I've experimented with this selling intercom systems, several of
our more popular alarm brands and a few home entertainment
systems.  Customers seem to like the design as it allows them to
shop for almost all components on a single page.

> Yes, I still run across badly written sites.

Among the worst designs I've seen are some of the other large DIY
stores.  More than a few look like HTML renditions of the ad
pages in "Computer Shopper".

> If you can't find what you are looking for (or at least know
> you're on the track) within 3 or 4 clicks, the site needs
> redesigning.

True, but there's more to it than rapid access.  You also need to
look at how the products are grouped, especially when selling
security systems because there are a lot of different components
required for each system.

I took a two-pronged approach.  Many of my pages are catalogs of
related parts from one or more manufacturers.  If you're looking
for a Visonic motion detector, I have a page where I list the
more popular models.  If you want Sentrol recessed magnetic
contacts, I have a page listing those as well.

The second tine is my complete systems pages.  There I list a
selection of control panels from a single manufacturer, each of
the compatible keypads, expansion modules and accessories,
wireless gear and finally hard-wired sensors.

The new complete system pages are an improvement over the
original design.  Eventually I will have system pages for every
burglar alarm control panel from every manufacturer, every fire
alarm panel, every intercom system, structured wiring system and
whole home audio / video distribution system.

The trick is to keep the design flexible enough to work with all
of these different types of systems.  So far it's working.  We're
now the largest independent buyer of security systems in south
Florida.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass