Re: wire vs wired

Chub wrote:
> "Harry Dope" <mskapik1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Having a security system installed in my house. ADT
> > is pushing for wireless. I thought hard wired was better
> > Any help is appreciated
>
> if I were paying someone I would want hard wired.  Anybody can lick and
> stick wireless devices to the wall and in a few years they will be obsolete
> just like computers.  With hard wired in a few years if something quits
> working you still have the hardwired backbone that you can use and just
> replace a relatively inexpensive sensor.  With wireless you are apt to have
> to replace everything if the company that made the equipment has gone to
> some newer technology and no longer supports the old stuff.

Chubb,

You're absolutely right about obsolescence being a factor when
considering wireless alarm systems, but I just thought I'd let you in
on my experiernce through the years.

Ademco came out with the 5600 series wireless system ( I think) in the
late 70's early 80's. It was (for it's time) the best that had been
developed up till then. We (installers) didn't even consider
obsolescence being a factor, because it was a new technology and ......
well it just didn't occur to anyone at the time.

Through the years, the product worked ok for it's time and most of the
bugs were worked out as far as the technology would allow for the time.
As time passed, the rumor got out that the FCC was going to shut down
the frequency that the 5600 used. Those who didn't have the foresight,
just cried and moaned and used it as an excuse to replace entire
systems. I, among others, started gathering parts and through the
remaining years, held on to the parts from abandoned and replaced
installations. At the present time, I've still got installations with
the 5600 technology all working fine and still have a stock pile of
parts to support them. Amongst the group of friendly competitors
locally, we occasionally trade parts for some of the older systems that
we've installed through the years. Yes, it will eventually end but at
least I've been able to support my customers who believed in me. By the
time I run out of parts, they'll either be long gone or it'll be time
for an up grade anyway. 25 to 30 years is WAY more than a resonable
amount of time to support a product and for a client to expect a system
to work.

If you or anyone is using wireless and have a fear of the obsolescent
boogyman, take note. There is a way to get around it.