Re: wire vs wired

news:1139593659.762207.294000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> You're absolutely right about obsolescence being a factor when
> considering wireless alarm systems, but I just thought I'd let you in
> on my experiernce through the years.
>
> Ademco came out with the 5600 series wireless system ( I think) in the
> late 70's early 80's. It was (for it's time) the best that had been
> developed up till then. We (installers) didn't even consider
> obsolescence being a factor, because it was a new technology and ......
> well it just didn't occur to anyone at the time.
>
> Through the years, the product worked ok for it's time and most of the
> bugs were worked out as far as the technology would allow for the time.
> As time passed, the rumor got out that the FCC was going to shut down
> the frequency that the 5600 used. Those who didn't have the foresight,
> just cried and moaned and used it as an excuse to replace entire
> systems. I, among others, started gathering parts and through the
> remaining years, held on to the parts from abandoned and replaced
> installations. At the present time, I've still got installations with
> the 5600 technology all working fine and still have a stock pile of
> parts to support them. Amongst the group of friendly competitors
> locally, we occasionally trade parts for some of the older systems that
> we've installed through the years. Yes, it will eventually end but at
> least I've been able to support my customers who believed in me. By the
> time I run out of parts, they'll either be long gone or it'll be time
> for an up grade anyway. 25 to 30 years is WAY more than a resonable
> amount of time to support a product and for a client to expect a system
> to work.
>
> If you or anyone is using wireless and have a fear of the obsolescent
> boogyman, take note. There is a way to get around it.

obviously you are an extraordinary security provider.  :)
I'm sure you agree that hardwired is better even without obsolescence
factored though, as long as it can be hardwired.  poster is in FL I think
and those houses are not always easy to hardwire what with no basements and
tile floors especially in a 2 story so he may have to go at least partially
wireless.