Re: Problem With ADT System - Need Advice

> As you know, I've been a big fan
> of Paradox equipment from day
> one, and use the 1759MG with
> the 1641 high end LCD keypad
> as my "standard" installation. By
> and large, my feelings still stand,
> although lately I have become a
> little disillusioned with their wireless
> products.
>
> They enroll easily, and are very
> reliable, but when batteries inevitably
> go bad, there are problems...

While I was installing I rarely used wireless.  Most homes where we worked (southern New England) can be wired by a skilled
technician or DIYer with little or no visible sign that anything has been done.  Florida is another situation altogether with
shallow roofs and cement block walls over slab foundations.  For existing structures here wireless is the mainstay.

> If the batteries in a wireless
> motion go low, besides sending
> to the station, the LED will blink
> to indicate which one needs the
> batteries changed...

With most installations using from 0 to 5 transmitters (mainly zero), we just made it a policy to replace all batteries whenever the
first one went low.  The client spends more on batteries but saves a good deal on service visits.  With DIYers it's different.  I
just sell them a new battery whenever one fails.

> However, with the smaller door
> contact, you have no such
> indicator. The event log will show
> you (sort of) which device is low,
> but the only way to be sure is to
> change all the wireless contact
> batteries (DL 2450 lithium at $3 a
> pop). When I took this complaint
> to their tech support (superb by
> the way), I was told there was no
> room in the chip for that indication
> - it was full!!...

That's ot surprising, Bob.  The chip contains the firmware and often the address.  Most alarm manufacturers use the smallest chips
available in order to keep costs down.  If a transmitter costs you $30 after distributor profit, shipping (twice) and advertising,
the manufacturer needs to be able to produce it for about $5 or less.  By comparison, a $350 (dealer cost) FACP has a typical
manufacturing cost target of arond $90-100.

> Also, you may have to power the
> panel down and up again in order
> to clear the "RF trouble"...

That's a pian and should be addressed.

> But they are still far superior to
> DSC's wireless product line (IMO)...

That isn't saying much.  :^)

> I don't use the all-in-one Magellan
> because of the inherent flaw with
> the dialer integral with the keypad...

The primary use of the Magellan is for apartments where virtually no wiring is permitted.  Also, some clients rent or own a
residence only temporarily and expect to move within a short time.  For them an all-in-one is sometimes a reasonable compromise
between the expense of professional installation, removal and reinstallation or no system at all.

> Also, again in my opinion, these
> all in one devices are designed to
> fit a niche, but are not suitable
> for whole house security...

Absolutely agreed.  For long term protection of any substantial structure, wether the installation is by paid professional or DIY, a
wired solution is usually preferable.

> The only other minor problem I've
> had is with one or two DG75's going
> bad and causing false alarms that
> cost me money. But that's to be
> expected with literally 1000's in
> service I guess.

I've sold thousands of those as well and to dat have had almost no problems.  Considering the vast majority were DIY installed, I'd
say they're a very reliable detector.  Were you able to isolate what had failed on the two bad units?

> Paradox will likely never be big in
> the US because of entrenched bias
> towards US companies...

The funny thing about that is most "US brand" alarm systems aren't made in the USA at all.  With the Bush administration offering
tax breaks and other encouragement to companies that outsource to China and India, it's going to take years to correct that problem
(not to mention the destrucvtion of our economy and the horrible toll of hman suffering among our soldiers who were sent to war on a
pack of lies).

> However, they are huge world
> wide in over 41 other countries
> spread all over the globe. Such
> is life!!

Clients who do use them (Paradox) tend to come back for more.  I suspect that over time they'll snare a bit more of the US market.
If DSC's service and QC go any firther down the tubes Paradox may take the lead from them.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics