Re: Ademco Vista Programming

"Roland Moore" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:znsdh.16141$_H5.5571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 I don't know how
> Honeywell feels about Bass posting the login to their site. It might be
> interesting to see what their official position is on the subject. Has
> anyone asked?

Yep. And their actions against RLB were posted here earlier this year.

>Honeywell cetainly doesn't mind it enought to >stop selling to
> Bass it seems.

With conditions

> If Honeywell is taking money from Bass aren't their resources
> available to him as a customer of Honeywell?

They won't do anything about his misuse of the resources granted to him
unless Honeywell is somehow damaged. But they do have their eye one him as
do some of the other majors.

>or even
> if that is something that Honeywell actually cares >about. How much
> responsibility one puts on Bass in any case seems to me to be an
individual
> matter.

This is probably true. There are those that sell parts, site unseen, and
there are those that sell secuirty. I think those that sell security see the
downside to some of RLB's actions and don't agree with it, to the point that
they don't even agree to disagree. They are very vocal, possibly to protect
other readers that these actions are possible wrong and could be damaging.

 It
> seems to me if Bass were truly interested in what anyone else thought

I think he has demonstrated that he doesn't, but that is his prerogative.

>(with permission)

That is where he screwed up earlier. He doesn't believe he needs it. He got
caught and served with cease and desists on some things.

> I am not trying to tell Bass how to run his >business, just stating what
> makes sense to me.

And probably everyone else. But don't try to tell him anything because he
refuses to listen. He holds himself out to be on a much higher level and
smarter than the "primates" that participate in this group.

>Seems like one would have to make his or her >own
> judgements about how ethical or unethical Bass is compared to Honeywell
and
> which do you wish to support.

Didn't I just mention something about parts sellers?

> Bass states that the reason he posts the login is to help his customers,

It is to sell parts and to lower his "800" bill. His customer service
history is well documented.  He wants the point of sale and not necessarily
all the small talk that goes along with it. He gives them access, which
takes away alot of leg work on his part. Do you really think that an online
business wants all the shoppers to take up their time with "let me look at
all that is on the market before I make a decision". I know how this works
having a travel agency. People will call wanting to plan a cruise. The
agents will ask them where to and when. They don't have a clue. "Find out
about all the Caribbean and Mediterranean for next summer". Well that is
about two hundred different possibilities. We don't have time for that and
prices change all the time. We send them the brochures, let them do the
homework and narrow it down. Then we spend the time with them planning their
vacation. I am sure RLB is doing the same thing. What we don't do, is give
them the number directly into the cruise line admin department with our pass
word. This is reserved for agents. Similar situation without the security
issue. Not that access to Honeywell's website is any kind of a security
breach but other information that has been released to the general public on
this forum , with no regard for its sensitivity, could be.

> I don't think
> Honeywell is too concerned about Bass or anyone else that posts here
having
> any real impact on that $30 billion figure.

:o]