Re: Carbon Monoxide detector advice

silenceseeker2003@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > silenceseeker2003@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Still, I noticed that despite your doubts you did install *something*
> > > at home (plug-ins). Which plug-ins (brand and model number) did you go
> > > for?
> > >

> > This answer is going to be absolutely no help to you at all.
> >
> > Ummmmmmm .............   Kidde Nitehawk ...........  heh heh heh.
>
> Heh heh heh... I had a feeling that would be the answer. :-)
>
> And you mounted them half way between the floor and the ceiling, right?
>  :-)

Actually, I live in a ranch style house. No attached garage. Heating
source is in the basement. I have the CO detectors mounted in outlets.
My main concern in at night when I'm sleeping. With the CO source in
the basement, I figure with the detectors mounted in outlets, the CO
with reach them before it reaches me in bed.

> I can understand one or two defective units by coincidence, but when
> the company keeps sending me units (4 in total) that keep exhibiting
> the same exact problem, I know that there is something wrong in an
> entire production line - or even the design itself.
>
> Even more interesting is that... I was not the only one encountering
> the problem. I just discovered this after your first answer. Read here:
>
> http://carbonmonoxide.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=206
>
> I think I will go for the "American Sensors CO920" - except that I have
> never heard of that company. I couldn't even find their web site. Does
> that company really exist? Or is it the same "Kidde NiteHawk" just
> branded differently?

Now days, you never know who is private labling for who.

But hey, did you ever think about taking your "defective" units to
someone elses house and see if they react the same way in another
location? Could be you have some fumes from something in your home
that's setting the units off. They're not exclusively sensitive to only
CO. Had a situation a while ago in my area where a doctor ( believe it
or not) kept having to reset his home CO detector so he disabled it and
the whole family died of CO poisioning.

Good luck