Re: Carbon Monoxide detector advice

silenceseeker2003@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> But further exploration reveals that it seems that "CO Experts" may be
> a disguise to "AIM" - a company that promised 5 years warranty for the
> CO alarm I purchased (described in my original posting) - and
> disappeared from the horizon after a short time. Which rendered my
> warranty useless (and which of course was needed, because that CO
> detector died after a year).
>
> Notice this: http://tinyurl.com/fawf5
>
> And notice this: http://tinyurl.com/hvkx9 (referencing "George Kerr
> AIM")
>
> Ah, what an interesting world.
>
> So, is there a CO detector that really works?
>
> Sam

I am aware of what the first website had to say. Regarding your old
detector, what ever it says isn't important now, since it's no longer
available.

But ...... as far as me recommending a CO detector. No, I can't/wont. I
don't offer CO detectors with my installations. Mainly because of what
you've just learned about them. There is no place that they can be
mounted that can be considered the "best" place. The types that are
available to us, draw a lot of current and because of their short
comings, it's not worth it to have to install and additional power
supply to power something with doubtful usefulness. The fact that they
are going to go dead and have to be replaced in a few years, is not
usually acceptable by the client and who's going to remember to test
them to see if they're still working?   It's bad enough that people
don't test their smoke detectors. or as a matter of fact, even test
their alarm systems. There are other issues with CO detecrots that  I
have about if the fire department should be notified if a CO detector
trips. All and all there's just too much doubt on my part to feel
comfortable offering it to my clients.

If they ** reeeeealy** want them, I tell them that in order to be sure
that they are going to be well protected because of the inability to
know exactly at what level to mount them, they should probably have
about 6 or 8 of them installed around the house and at $185.00 each,
that I think it would be much less costly if they were to go to Home
Depot and buy a dozen of them and put them all over the house .....
themselves.

In my area, in new construction, electricians are required, by the
building department, to install CO detectors that are wired to 110VAC.
The indecision by everyone in the industry about where to mount them
was answered by by the bureaucrats by requiring them to be mounted on
wall, half way between the floor and the ceiling. This way no one can
be blamed for mounting them to high or too low ..... I'm .... guessing.

No reporting to central station is required.

I have plug-ins in my home.