Re: Remote car start via phone?

In article <eb84bn$1et$3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, szekeres@xxxxxxxx (GregS) wrote:
>In article <eb8437$1et$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, szekeres@xxxxxxxx (GregS)
> wrote:
>>In article <1154976552.666070.184600@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> "bigbilltolbert" <bigbilltolbert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>I'm looking for a way to start my car at the airport when my plane
>>>lands.  If I wait until I get to the parking lot, it does not give the
>>>car enough time to warm up.  Basically I am looking for a remote
>>>starter where I can call a phone number and have the car start.
>>>
>>>There was a thread a few years ago that talked about it, but the
>>>products do not seem to be available any longer.  I did find one
>>>product from Viper that looks like it can do it, but it also has GPS
>>>and a lot of other features I don't need and is over $500.
>>>
>>>Given that you can get a pager for free and only pay $60/year, it can't
>>>be that hard to put it in your glove box and run a wire to the starter
>>>that triggers it just like the remote that is good for 800 feet.
>>>
>>>Anyone?
>>
>>Auto Command did make a unit, Design Tech. They did make a remoter from a
> phone
>> pager
>>type of devive. Dialed the phone and the car starts from anywhere. Might call
>> them or see if
>>the service still exists. Well even many remotes work from 600 feet away. Some
>> clain more.
>>If you hold a remote near a larger metal object, preferably of the same
>> wavelength,
>>you can get much better range. I often hold a key next to it.
>
>When I installed my AutoCommand, the antenna can be placed anywher you like.
>A good place is somwhere which is visbale through the windshied. The best
>place is an external antenna. A poor place in under the dash.
>
>greg in da burgh.

My remote starter can be fine tuned so the transmitter matches the receiver.
I talked to one of the reps from Design Tech International at a CES one year.
These remotes can drift off after some time. I was able to start my car
near channel 13 TV tower, along with many other services on that tower.
At some point in time a service was activated on that tower which
desenses my receiver so my range dropped radically. The airport may have
problems.

greg