Re: Remote car start via phone?

In article <1154976552.666070.184600@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bigbilltolbert" <bigbilltolbert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I'm looking for a way to start my car at the airport when my plane
>lands.  If I wait until I get to the parking lot, it does not give the
>car enough time to warm up.  Basically I am looking for a remote
>starter where I can call a phone number and have the car start.
>
>There was a thread a few years ago that talked about it, but the
>products do not seem to be available any longer.  I did find one
>product from Viper that looks like it can do it, but it also has GPS
>and a lot of other features I don't need and is over $500.
>
>Given that you can get a pager for free and only pay $60/year, it can't
>be that hard to put it in your glove box and run a wire to the starter
>that triggers it just like the remote that is good for 800 feet.
>
>Anyone?

Auto Command did make a unit, Design Tech. They did make a remoter from a phone pager
type of devive. Dialed the phone and the car starts from anywhere. Might call them or see if
the service still exists. Well even many remotes work from 600 feet away. Some clain more.
If you hold a remote near a larger metal object, preferably of the same wavelength,
you can get much better range. I often hold a key next to it.

greg