Re: looking for UL standards

>> It's possible that they do this to guard their name.
>
> How does this guard their name?

I was being facetious.

> Our product is UL listed. We pay for that.

What product?  No contention, just curious.

> Now we must pay extra to use a label supplier who has
> also paid for the privelage of printing the symbol. It's a
> simple graphic. It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't
> a recent change.

I've experienced some of the eccentricities of UL.  My company wrote the
download software for the Edwards FireShield series panels.  I wrote the help
system.  The software, including the help system which is packaged with it and
the hardware all carry the UL label (though I was not aware that the labels had
to be printed by a UL listed printer which, I agree, is ridiculous).

A discussion about UL arose during the development of the system.  I wanted to
include the hardware manuals in the help system.  In my initial submittals they
were included but at the time the paper manuals (then only in PDF format) were
not yet finalized.  It was in that discussion that I realized that the manuals
and the software needed UL -- not just the hardware itself.

> A McDonalds franchise sued McDonalds Corp (It may have been
> Wendys or BK - I don't really remember) for the right to use any
> meat supplier they chose, so long as they adhered to the same
> quality standards. This is nothing more than UL generating an
> additional revenue stream, and forcing their customers into it.

I read something about that too.  I think it was McD's (though I'm not
100%certain either).  At any rate, the comment about protecting their name was
intended as humor -- not at your expense but theirs.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.