Re: Laptop Serial Adaptor

> You are getting forgetful in your old age...

My father likes to say getting old isn't so bad when you consider the
alternative.

> I am using Napco panels mostly.  I was not aware there
> was a USB to panel adaptor.  Of course that won't work
> with panels that don't have a jack, but I program most
> of those from the keypad anyway.

Since only old Napco panels are sans jack, it's not much of an issue any more.
The USB version of the PCI-MINI has been out for a while now.  Since I don't do
site work for pay any more, I don't really need one though I still have the
serial version laying around somewhere.

>  I'll get ahold of my rep and ask about one right away.

It beats trying to maintain an old laptop just for programming.

> Still need that serial port for other stuff though.

Yep.  I don't know if other manufacturers' software is as temperamental about
USB-serial port adaptors but most of the time they don't work with Napco.  Some
machines will and some won't configure the USB-serial port as "COM#" and unless
you can do that Quickloader has trouble.  I never tried to find out which PC
makes / models work since they're always changing anyway.

If all else fails, there's always Jim Rojas' everlasting garage sale.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.