Re: Monitoring station response time

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:23:47 -0700, "Doug L" <vssdoug@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>If an area is hit by a major catastrophe be it flood, hurricane or
>earthquake it really makes little difference if the CS is local and goes
>down with the rest of the area or if the CS is located in another
>State,since if the power and phone lines are down locally then most signals
>won't be going anywhere anyway, and even if they do the local authorites are
>not going to be in a position to respond.
>
>Doug L

It's not really the area where the alarm originates that matters.
With most of the local alarmco's farming out their monitoring to third
party centrals, a remote central station could easily be knocked out
while thousands of subscribers are not effected by the disaster until
their alarm fails to summon the authorities.

Also, hurricanes normally affect only a small portion of coastline,
tornados are normally less than a mile wide, etc.  We haven't even
mentioned the possibility that someone may intentionally render a
central incapable of monitoring signals.