Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

Mike wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Thanks for a straight answer to my question.  I did not intend this to
> turn into a debate on the reliability of VOIP.  I completely understand
> the risks of using VOIP instead of a POTS line and for now am willing
> to accept those risks.  The best way to solve a problem is approach it
> one step at a time.  I know for a fact that the VOIP adapter I have
> will not make a call using pulse dialing.  So switching the box to
> touch-tone might allow me to use my VOIP service but might not, only
> testing it will determine that.
>
> Is there a better way that I can explain this to a service tech so they
> understand what I want?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Just tell him what you've said here. Change the programing to
"touchtone only". You know that it possibly wont work, but it's got to
be tried. And, that you're aware that it may not be that reliable. Also
tell him to program it for periodic check in. I forget what increments
the MA 900 checks in at  ..... daily/weekly, but any check in is better
than none. Also, with the periodic check in, your central station may
charge a little extra a month for the service. Tell the installer that
YOU want to be notified if check in fails. Many times the installer
will be notified only and will just never "get around" to you, to find
out why and you're sitting there thinking everything is working.

If ...... after all this, it proves to not be reliable enough for you,
Id suggest that you upgrade the panel but I'd stick with Napco. They've
issued a notice that their panels will work over VoIP and I've not had
any problems with them over the Optimum network. I haven't heard of any
other mfg who's issued a like notice. By the way, changing the panel
means also changing the keypads. They're not compatable with the new
panels and nowdays, with the alpa-numeric keypads, may add considerable
cost to a new system.

Good luck.