Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

Mike wrote:
> I have a Magnum Alert 900 system in my house and just switched to
> Voice-Over-IP service through Optimum Voice (Cablevision).  The system
> will no longer call the central office.  After some testing I found out
> that the alarm box is set for pulse dialing.  The VOIP service that I
> have will not place a pulse call.  Can this system be switched to touch
> tone dialing and if so how?  I tried calling the alarm company and
> getting someone on the phone who knows what they are talking about is
> difficult.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

Mike, after all of the extranous chatter, my original post still holds
true.

The chip can be reprogramed so that the panel will dial touch tone.
Whether it can communicate with your central station or not has to be
tested. And ...... once tested successfully, there's no way to
gurarantee that it will continue to communicate. You can offset this
unreliability by having the panel programed for periodic check in with
central station and that YOU be notified by central station if it fails
to check in.

I have panels working under these conditions with my clients
understanding that the possibility exists that it may not work. I've
asked them to sign a waiver to that effect. It's their choice to not
upgrade their equipment.

That's the bottom line.

To those who believe that 4/2 format wont work on Voip, ...... it works
here. The problem, as stated above is ...... will it work reliably. If
it doesn't work in your area, I'd suspect that it is due to the cable
company protocols in your area, which they can change (even here)  at
their whim.