Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

> At the moment, this whole business of alarms
> using VoIp is a bit of a circular argument.  No
> doubt that a solution of some sort will be
> found (or invented), but something tells me
> not in time for those people who need it now.

We agree that something will be developed.  As to needing it now, we also
agree.  Alarm users ought to keep at least one POTS line.  There's a saying
that goes something like, "Lack of planning and forethought on your part
does not constitute an emergency on my part."  :^)

> On the other hand, I have to wonder about
> the wisdom of giving up a land line to save
> $20 a month, knowing your alarm won't work
> properly on the VoIP connection...

I suspect most alarm users and probably even most installers have no idea
that there will bwe a problem with if they switch to VoIP.  They seem to
find out after the POTS lines are already gone.  As to the savings, it's a
bit more than $20 for some of us.  I've ordered a new system that turns
sites in several states and two countries into a "virtual office building".
This will be a major help in handling incoming and outgoing (least cost
routing, etc.) phone calls, faxes, etc.  The five new lines will each have
the ability to handle one incoming and one outgoing call at the same time.
Toll charges and 800-number charges will be halved.  I'll be saving nearly a
thousand dollars a month.  That's for a relatively small business.  Imagine
what it can mean to a larger firm.

> I doubt many businesses would do such a
> foolish thing but it's many of the residential
> consumers who definately will.

The problem is a lack of information.  Very few consumers or businesses know
there will be a problem until it's too late.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics