Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

> Yes, I've seen the Next Alarm writeup. Seems
> it might be a solution; however, it's not
> available in Canada...

It's probably a safe bet that some enterprising Canadian firm will come up
with a similar program.  Their business model looks like it should be quite
remunerative.

> I hope that things do improve with VoIP to the
> point where it is genuinely usable with alarm
> panels...

I expect it will be the other way around.  As more and more commercial and
even residential customers switch to VoIP alarm dealers will start asking
manufacturers for VoIP compatible control panels.  That's what drives the
industry and that's where the solutions will be found.

Sending data over the Internet, whether analog through VoIP or straight
digital, is a relatively simple matter.  The tough part (for now) is
maintaining circuit integrity.  As has already been noted, there really
isn't any way to be sure that the signal will get through.  But when you
think about it, that problem is also present with POTS line signalling.
There's no way to be 100% certain that a customer's telephone line won't be
cut or simply fail.

> It's no solution at all to simply dismiss the
> problem, although quite honestly, at the
> moment, a land line IS the only solution if
> you want reliability as part of your alarm
> communication connection...

Well, yes and no.  Clearly, POTS is more reliable than VoIP but it is far
from 100% secure.  Phone lines can and do fail due to storms, tampering,
etc.  They're better than VoIP in that they don't require premises power to
operate but they can be circumvented with very little effort if the thief
wants.

> ADT have a greater vested interest than anyone
> here due to the sheer size of their customer base,
> and they say quite bluntly, no connection over
> VoIP is currently acceptable.

That's because they don't sell anything that can reliably send signals to
their CS over a VoIP connection.  Saying ADT can't do it is not the same as
saying that it can't be done.

> If you do find a solution to the issue, please let
> us know how it works out, because for the
> moment, I have no option but to tell my clients,
> there is no solution (and that's NOT an
> acceptable answer....)

I'll look at what can be done using a few systems I have on hand.  In all
probability none of them will be 100% reliable but perhaps one or another
will prove better than the rest.

> Signed...Frustrated as hell...

That sounds like a "Dear Abby" sig line.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics