Re: Your Favorite Install Tool?

Crash Gordon wrote:

>| (Have I just gotten kicked out of the newsgroup? ;-)
>
> No...why? You're asking good questions.

Well, a) I'm asking lots of questions, and getting lots of free help,
but more importantly, b) I suggested that I found alarm components to be
unsightly.  Some people might be sensitive about that!  ;-)

Seriously, I agree that they're not more unsightly than say a
thermostat, or doorbell, or ...  It's still not a reason to put the
alarm sensors in conspicuous places if it can be avoided (though I do
realize that sometimes it can't be avoided;  they have to go _somewhere_
and they might as well go somewhere where they'll do some good).

> It's been my experience that recessed contacts in metal framed windows
> tend to get welded closed by a close lightning strike, and you'll
> never know unless you are religious about testing all your window
> switches on a regular basis ...

Noted ...

> with a surface contact even the dumbest
> homeowner can look and see if the magnet is lined up...or missing.

Also noted.

>| We had the phone company look at it (we'd requested that they move it)
>| when we bought the house.  ...
>
> They'll move it if you squeak louder.

I'll consider that.  In any case, if they don't, it will probably be
worth my while to have them move it anyway.

>| It would be interesting (for future reference, really) to find an alarm
>| system that dials first, and sounds the local alarm later.  Or does such
>| a system already exist?
>
> Some panels you can delay the dial out for a few seconds...personally
> I wont do that but you can do whatever you want.

I don't think I'd want to delay the dialing, but to dial before sounding
the local alarm doesn't seem to me to be a bad idea.

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Systems and Network analyst                       Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada