Re: Bass Burhglar Alarms

robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Nope.  Their website ends in .com while mine ends in .us.

I think you better recheck that...  Your's ends in ".com".

> The
> similarity ends there.  I sell very few X-10 products.  They sell
> nothing but.

Just make darn sure that when you post the link to *your* website, it
ends with ".com".  Otherwise you're liable to confuse the heck out of me.

> I've actually been working on that.

It's been that way for over eight months.

> The second site was generated from
> the main one but there were numerous errors in it -- broken links, etc.
>  Since it's primary purpose is to reflect links to the
> www.bassburglaralarms.com site, it wasn't a high priority problem.
> With the work on our newest site going forward I decided to fix
> everything once and for all.

Good.  Perhaps another long "hiatus" will help.  Come back sometime next
year!!  :-))

> That's a redirect of the 404 page and it's going away soon anyway.

I can't wait.

>>And the bogus security codes on the BBA pages really
>
> make cruisin' the site slo-oOoOo-w.
>
> There are no security codes, bogus or otherwise on my pages. Only the
> SCART is encrypted once you get to the page that asks for personal
> information.

Like I said, enable the security settings in your IE and you'll see what
I mean...  I notice that with Mozilla's Firefox you don't get those
error messages.  I'll have to check on the default settings and get
backt to you.

> Everything else is ordinary HTML.  If you have trouble
> "cruisin" it's probably your machine or your connection.

Nope.  Ruled that out about a year ago when we upgraded to some pretty
"hot" equipment.  I'm building a new desktop machine that's even "hotter"...

> There is one
> exception to that.  When I "generate" the websites the system creates
> nearly 20,000 static HTML pages for each website.  During that time
> period page delivery slows to a crawl and 404 errors ("Rfreshing" as
> they may be:)) are common.

No wonder you're having problems...

> Do you really believe that you have that much affect on anyone?

You get riled pretty easily.  Wouldn't want to be accused of "arresting"
your ticker...

> You going to "Rfresh" that too???
>
> Nope.  The page contained multiple references to the
> www.bassburglaralarms.com website.  The same database is used to
> generate multiple sites. If you look at my pages long enouogh (and
> apparently you do) you'll notice that the body of each page is generic
> -- it makes no reference to the website itself. That means no more
> "about us" page.

Yep...  You're one of the few individuals I know that go out to
deliberately keep their customers "in the dark" about who they are and
what they do...  I suppose I can't blame you though...

>> Contragulations!!!  Do your Napco and Elk panels all work with it??
 >> Or did you keep your "Pots" line too??
>
> I haven't tried yet.  I'll let you know when I do.

So, you've kept your "Pots" line...  wise move...

> I wanted something easy to remember.  You'll see it when it's published
> later this week.

Ah yes... somethink like 1-800-BAHIA-4-ME...  :-))

> If it makes you feel better to pretend my site is still a one-man
> operation, feel free.

Oh, I'm sure it's not.  I'm pretty darn sure you've got the whole family
involved...

> Mm-hmm.  All three of them.

Try thirteen.  With four unanswered complaints...  Or haven't you
bothered checking lately??

> Great idea. The only problem is the lanai at the new house is almost as
> big as the entire current home. When the sale is complete I'm sure you
> or someone else here will look it up in the county's website.

Lot of really interesting stuff on the county's website alright...

>>Be still, my beating heart!!!
>

> You're asking for a heart stoppage???

Figure of speech...

>>>I'm looking for someone with extensive knowledge of security, fire and communications systems to help with telephone sales.  Hours and work week scheduling are flexible.
>

>>Translation...  be prepared to answer the phone when Robert doesn't...
>

> Not quite.  Sales calls are routed to the commission salesman's
> station.  Only if s/he is busy or away will they come to my station.

Somehow I just can't picture you giving away money.  I really don't
think you're really you...  You're some kinda clone...  Or maybe your
name's "Michael"...

> Sales volume is fine.

No it's not.  "Sales volume" for an online store such as yours closely
follows "call volume".  If you're not answering your calls, your sales
are going to drop.  If you have a reputation for not returning or
answering calls, word will get around.  If you have unanswered
complaints at the BBB, then you have a bigger problem.  Most people will
actually look for the "BBB Reliability" seal when shopping online.  They
also like the "Versign Secure" feature for conducting transactions
involving their personal information.  You used to have this at B-H.
I'm wondering why you dropped it.

> The problem is finding time to answer every sales
> call.

At least you've finally caught on to the problem most everyone here is
already aware of, Robert.  Don't take a year to fix it though.

> That's why I need to hire someone.  I estimate that for every
> sale I make there are from one to three more who go unanswered.

That's simply abysmal!!  I'd fire your CEO, all your top level managers,
and forget about selling on line.  Move to Bahia and enjoy your life...

> Customer service has improved significantly since I got help in that
> arena.

You need help in a lot of "arenas".  :-))

> Hopefully we can have an equally positive affect on sales when
> there are two (or more?) folks handling incoming calls.

By gum, you've finally "clued in" on the math!!!

>> and if you use a wireless network, you could "sell from the
>> throne"...
>
> True.  Besides I'd never be "flush" out of ideas.  :)

Don't forget, the job's not done until all the paper work's taken care of.