Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

<securitymission@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Crash,
>
> It will be the building departments--the same procedure we use now when
> installing fire alarm systems.  You will take your blueprints with your
> security systems on it, fill out a form, pluck $90 down on the table
> (more or less) and then their plans examiner will look over your
> blueprint.  It will be the plans examiner who will make sure that
> you've complied with NFPA 730 and 731.  This is where compliance
> begins.

NFPA is used to this process and may consider it the norm for fire systems.
If they would have consulted with the security industry, they would have
found that once prints go to a local government entity, they become public
record. Most cities, counties don't want this liability, when it comes to
security, hence, they issue permits without asking for blueprints. They
don't want them, because again, once they have them, anyone can get ahold of
them. They become public record.

> My question to you is this, "will NFPA 730, 731, and all of what I've
> just described actually improve the professionality of the security
> industry?"

A code/standard that is left for cities and counties, to either adopt or
not, will only be effective for those that enforce it and may even open the
door for selective enforcement. IMO, the only thing that will improve the
professionalism of the industry is #1, good quality education and #2,
creating legislation, both on the local and state level, to mandate
licensing and education, and #3 is to agressively enforce those mandates.
This can be accomplished without additional written codes and standards on
installation. It is unfortunate that it comes to this, however, the lack of
each of the 3 suggestions allows the unprofessional to live and prosper in
this industry.

Bob4Secur