Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

Crash,

It will be the building departments--the same procedure we use now when
installing fire alarm systems.  You will take your blueprints with your
security systems on it, fill out a form, pluck $90 down on the table
(more or less) and then their plans examiner will look over your
blueprint.  It will be the plans examiner who will make sure that
you've complied with NFPA 730 and 731.  This is where compliance
begins.

If it passes, you are given a call to come and get your permit.  When
you get there, you will fill out a form and plunk on the table your $50
base fee with so much per 100 sq. foot or so much a device.  When you
are done with the job, you call and a man might come out to look over
the wiring job you just did.  Now, that man may very well be the
electrical inspector.  The electrical man will come out to make sure
the wiring is installed right and he may also be the one to make sure
you put them where the blueprints say they need to be.  That is all he
will do.  He will rarely make a judgement call on placement.

On the fire side, once the job is done, the fire inspector, be he from
the FD or the building department itself, comes out and you have to do
your thing, testing each device to make sure they work, as well as the
NAC devices. I guarantee you, it will be the building department in
most cases and I doubt the PD will have any part of the process as they
are likely to use the same procedures and governmental departments they
already have in place.

On the UL side, if UL and NFPA do what they have done so far on the
fire installation third-party certification issue (which is to sell
third-party certification of all fire alarm installers to those AHJs
who will listen and go along with them) they will sell municipalities
and county building departments, licensing departments, etc. on the
same third-party certifification.  As you know, they don't come out and
inspect 100% of the systems they certificate.  Best estimate would be
10% over 12 months, and that's being positive.

I am not passing judgement on all of this, mind you, only telling you
how this will play out in my estimation.  There are many other factors
to consider, but if you have a state license or state fire certificate
and you expect to work in a jurisdiction where a UL third-party
certificated installer is required, you won't be doing any work there.

My question to you is this, "will NFPA 730, 731, and all of what I've
just described actually improve the professionality of the security
industry?"

I'd like to hear from those who agree with it as well as those who do
not.  When and if I write this story  I must provide both sides in the
best way possible and allow the reader to make up his/her own mind.

Thank you for all your help!!
Al Colombo

www.securitymission.com
www.e-commkiosk.com