Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

> > but who would be the AHJ in the security
> > world. The electrical inspector?
>
> Probably.

Except on a national basis, there is not even a permit requirement in most
areas and it would not be easy for the cities to start one. They don't have
the budget, manpower, software, etc. to administrate it so therefore the
code/standard would be collecting dust.

> > They have absolutely no knowledge of
> > design and application for this diverse field.
>
> I suspect the idea, ill-formed as it may be, is that the AHJ could simply
> read the code and suddenly become qualified to determine if an
installation
> is in compliance.

I suppose but what would that gain, which again brings me back to
questioning the insentive NFPA has to do it in the first place. The publics
best interest?

> > Would it be the police department?
>
> In some towns the responding officers already issue advisories as to the
> probable cause of a given false alarm.  This is usually done without the
> officers ever gaining entrance to the protected premises.  One has to
wonder
> how they imagine they can tell from outside the house that there's a
spider
> inside a PIR motion detector.

Again, no experience other than reading what someone has written.

> > They don't even want the dispatch responsibility,
> > let alone have the required knowledge....
>
> Of course not, but if there's an opportunity to create another revenue
> stream from the alarm industry, they might just try.

One might think that, however, the money collected doesn't go to the PD as
it should. It ends up in the general fund of the city. The PD struggles with
a twindling budget and general fund makes sure there is good fire works
display on the 4th. Go figure!

> > Seeing how this industy is so diverse and
> > not as cut dried as the fire industry, who
> > is left to be an AHJ? Could it be a third
> > party verifier? NFPA themselves are not
> > going out in the public doing inspections.
> > Hmmm.....so who is left out there...
>
> Hmmm indeed.  Can we say "UL"?  Imagine the increase in revenue if UL,
> through the aegis of NFPA could somehow trump the burglar alarm industry
> with a requirement that all installations be issued a certificate.  We're
> probably talking $billions here.

Bingo!! Doesn't take rocket science.