Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

Oh, I can really see the electrical inspectors getting in on =
this...sheesh...half of them out here can't intrepret the existing code =
as it is...how will they ever deal with skinny little 22 ga wire?

The PD? Another oye-vey there. They have told some of my customers that =
their false alarm was caused by a low battery....this is as I am =
pointing to the screwdriver pry marks on the rear kitchen door!

Someone wants to make money, not benefit the client or the industry.

Contractor's licenses are the same bullshit. I pay 600 bucks a year for =
a contractors license, + license bonds all that crap...so what happens =
when I report a contractor without a license...absolutelyfuckingnothing. =
The only way they will do anything about an unlicensed contractor is IF =
the buyer complains...and why would he complain if he's able to hire an =
unlicensed contractor who doesn't have legal overheads...licenses, =
bonds, licenses, more licenses, tax licenses, more freeking licenses =
than you can shake a stick at. I have to have a stupid tax license for =
every damn town I do business in (currently 20) and every month we gotta =
fill out all that crap. Sometimes I think it's better to be a =
trunk-slammer that just does good work.

"Bob Worthy" <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
>=20
> "Robert L. Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > but who would be the AHJ in the security
> > > world. The electrical inspector?
> >
> > Probably.
>=20
> Except on a national basis, there is not even a permit requirement in =
most
> areas and it would not be easy for the cities to start one. They don't =
have
> the budget, manpower, software, etc. to administrate it so therefore =
the
> code/standard would be collecting dust.
> >
> > > They have absolutely no knowledge of
> > > design and application for this diverse field.
> >
> > I suspect the idea, ill-formed as it may be, is that the AHJ could =
simply
> > read the code and suddenly become qualified to determine if an
> installation
> > is in compliance.
>=20
> I suppose but what would that gain, which again brings me back to
> questioning the insentive NFPA has to do it in the first place. The =
publics
> best interest?
> >
> > > Would it be the police department?
> >
> > In some towns the responding officers already issue advisories as to =
the
> > probable cause of a given false alarm.  This is usually done without =
the
> > officers ever gaining entrance to the protected premises.  One has =
> wonder
> > how they imagine they can tell from outside the house that there's a
> spider
> > inside a PIR motion detector.
>=20
> Again, no experience other than reading what someone has written.
>=20
> > > They don't even want the dispatch responsibility,
> > > let alone have the required knowledge....
> >
> > Of course not, but if there's an opportunity to create another =
revenue
> > stream from the alarm industry, they might just try.
>=20
> One might think that, however, the money collected doesn't go to the =
PD as
> it should. It ends up in the general fund of the city. The PD =
struggles with
> a twindling budget and general fund makes sure there is good fire =
works
> display on the 4th. Go figure!
>=20
> > > Seeing how this industy is so diverse and
> > > not as cut dried as the fire industry, who
> > > is left to be an AHJ? Could it be a third
> > > party verifier? NFPA themselves are not
> > > going out in the public doing inspections.
> > > Hmmm.....so who is left out there...
> >
> > Hmmm indeed.  Can we say "UL"?  Imagine the increase in revenue if =
UL,
> > through the aegis of NFPA could somehow trump the burglar alarm =
industry
> > with a requirement that all installations be issued a certificate.  =
We're