Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

<securitymission@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I would like to hear from those who are interested in the issue of NFPA
> (National Fire Protection Association) and the creation of security
> standards/codes: NFPA 730 and NFPA 731.
>
> I'm especially interested in whether you believe a codified standard
> consisting of protective mandates and installation practices is in the
> best interest of the client and the security industry in general.
>
> For those interested in my personal thoughts on this issue, feel free
> to read it at
> http://tpromo.com/secmis-priv2/wp-trackback.php/247
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Colombo
> www.securitymission.com

There are different reasons these groups write codes and standards and it
makes me wonder what is the insentive for this particular go around. Is it
false alarm prevention? The industry already has a good program and the
results are impressive. An Association that has been writing codes and
standards for the fight against loss of life and property from fires for,
how many years, now all of a sudden has the answers for the security
industry? With the way these were written, it is easy to say that they are a
little out tune with reality, which again makes me wonder what their
insentatives were to get this done without including the industry. Even if
the manufactures could comply, who is going to enforce this. In the fire
industry you have fire inspectors and third party verifyers, but who would
be the AHJ in the security world. The electrical inspector? They have
absolutely no knowledge of design and application for this diverse field.
Would it be the police department? They don't even want the dispatch
responsibility, let alone have the required knowledge. Seeing how this
industy is so diverse and not as cut dried as the fire industry, who is left
to be an AHJ? Could it be a third party verifier? NFPA themselves are not
going out in the public doing inspections. Hmmm.....so who is left out there
that is trying to make an absolute killing on holding everyone hostage until
they join their club. The same ones that are charging mega bucks each year,
so that you can get the **required** third party verification? I refuse to
mention their name out of total disgust for their motives. They have already
made it public that they are out to control the security industry in the
same fashion that they have been controlling the fire industry (a very
stupid egotistical statement). At who's expense, I ask? Unfortunately, these
type of things will continue to exist as long as the majority of the State
Associations, which are really the only voice for the majority of the
industry, has remained so complaisant and dependent on the "Johnny Come
Lately" actions of the NBFAA. I am afraid the NBFAA have earned the title of
"To Little To Late" on many issues over the past several years. The NFPA
should stick to what they do best and don't get into other areas that may be
related but yet so different. If in fact that I may just be right about who
the real driving force is, being that third party verifier, the NFPA should
realize that if you go to bed with dogs, you will wake up with fleas.

Bob4Secur