Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

> Except on a national basis, there is not
> even a permit requirement in most areas
> and it would not be easy for the cities
> to start one. They don't have the budget,
> manpower, software, etc. to administrate
> it so therefore the code/standard would
> be collecting dust.

You may be right, Bob.  However, it's the same situation with the NEC.  In
places where code isn't enforced the NEC is unused.  Places where it is
enforced the NEC (in whatever form it's adopted) is the law of the land.
The existence of a standard does not, in and of itself, create a law or an
agency to enforce it.  States or communities that decide to use the standard
will do so.  The above is not intended to imply that having NFPA write a new
standard will actually help much.

>>> They have absolutely no knowledge of
>>> design and application for this diverse field.
>>
>> I suspect the idea, ill-formed as it may be,
>> is that the AHJ could simply read the code
>> and suddenly become qualified to determine
>> if an installation is in compliance.
>
> I suppose but what would that gain...

Dollars?  :^)

> which again brings me back to questioning the
> insentive NFPA has to do it in the first place.

Dollars?

> The publics best interest?

Maybe, but see above reply.

>>> Would it be the police department?
>>
>> In some towns the responding officers already
>> issue advisories as to the probable cause of a
>> given false alarm.  This is usually done without
>> the officers ever gaining entrance to the
>> protected premises.  One has to wonder how
>> they imagine they can tell from outside the
>> house that there's a spider inside a PIR motion
>> detector.
>
> Again, no experience other than reading what
> someone has written.

Sounds like the Vancouver Vicar.

>>> They don't even want the dispatch responsibility,
>>> let alone have the required knowledge....
>>
>> Of course not, but if there's an opportunity to
>> create another revenue stream from the alarm
>> industry, they might just try.
>
> One might think that, however, the money collected
> doesn't go to the PD as it should.  It ends up in the
> general fund of the city...

True, but it's not the PD that writes local ordinances.  It is the town
council and it's *their* budget that stands to gain.

> The PD struggles with a twindling budget and
> general fund makes sure there is good fire works
> display on the 4th. Go figure!

Speaking of which, Sarasota has an incredible display each year.  They fire
the rockets from an island (I think).  The display is mirrored off the
harbor around all the boats at the marina.  If we don't throw a party here
I'll take some photos for the gallery website.

>> > Seeing how this industy is so diverse and
>> > not as cut dried as the fire industry, who
>> > is left to be an AHJ? Could it be a third
>> > party verifier? NFPA themselves are not
>> > going out in the public doing inspections.
>> > Hmmm.....so who is left out there...
>>
>> Hmmm indeed.  Can we say "UL"?  Imagine
>> the increase in revenue if UL, through the
>> aegis of NFPA could somehow trump the
>> burglar alarm industry with a requirement that
>> all installations be issued a certificate.  We're
>> probably talking $billions here.
>
> Bingo!! Doesn't take rocket science.

Just as I always say, this isn't rocket science.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics