Re: My thoughts on Robert Bass

news:DMudnbIsl5nQn9ffRVn-sw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > I did 5 centuries last year and several
> > 80+ miles, one problem with Texas is
> > the heat prevents long distance riding
> > for me and the 100 milers happen early
> > and late in the year...
>
> The Florida heat doesn't really bother me as long as I'm moving.  I
started
> training by working my way up to a 32-mile run from Sarasota up to the
north
> end of Longboat Key and back.  That was in June.  I continued until late
> autumn when it gets dark too early to ride safely on the keys.

I used to do most of my riding at night on the Vision, for some odd reason
not on the Baron

> There were two times when I really got exhausted from the heat -- once in
> the middle of the state, just south of Lakeland and once up in White Oak
> (great 4-day event, BTW).

I have no problems up until about mile 85 when the legs start losing all
strength then it all comes back around the 100th mile. It's almost
consistent for some reason, my guess is I don't rest enough on the way and
run too fast since my average on each of the 5 has always been over 17 mph.
Another could be I don't do any training

The Baron doesn't like going slow ...

> > In 2005 so far I have 1,280 miles, #250
> > on bikejournal.com, last year I put on
> > 5000 miles
>
> You're doing great.  In 2002 I did just over 6,000 miles.  This year I'm
> just getting back up to speed.  I haven't been keeping track of milage.

I didn't log miles officially until this year, last years total was just
going by the Cateye

> >> Once you're doing 40+ miles at a time
> >> a century is no big deal on a 'bent.
> >> What are you currently riding, BTW.
> >
> > Currently riding an Optima Baron and
> > do between 25 and 40 miles a day during
> > the week, longer on weekends
> >
> > www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com
>
> Nice blog.

Thanks, just replaced the chain 2 days ago and the headset needs fixed, I
should be getting a titanium main idler and Conti Grand Prix's from Hostel
Shoppe tomorrow, Google branded lycra shirt and tights next week, carbon
fiber seat in a month from Holland. Then sometime this summer comes the tail
fairing...Aerospoke wheels....carbon boom...Ultegra crank... Someone told me
once it's an addiction, no idea where they get that from.

(this page should give Mike something to play with)

> That's very kind of you.  He apparently has very little to play with. :^)

Other than a tape recorder I tend to agree