Re: My thoughts on Robert Bass

> I used to do most of my riding at night
> on the Vision, for some odd reason
> not on the Baron

The Vision affords a much more upright position.  I should think it would be
better suited than the Baron for night riding.  Presumably that has nothing
to do with which got ridden at night.  It's just an observation about the
bike.

Florida (aka God's Waiting Room) has a lot of elderly drivers, many of whom
have extremely limited night vision.  That makes riding at night really
dangerous IMO.

> I have no problems up until about mile
> 85 when the legs start losing all strength
> then it all comes back around the 100th
> mile. It's almost consistent for some
> reason, my guess is I don't rest enough on
> the way and run too fast since my average
> on each of the 5 has always been over 17
> mph.  Another could be I don't do any
> training

Make sure you're taking enough water or PowerAde (ugh) while you ride.  I
fill a 50-Oz container with crushed ice and then top it off with water or
PowerAde.  With a sip tube protruding from the RANS bag the water stays cool
and palatable for hours.  I've found that I tend to hydrate much more
regularly with the sip tube clipped to my jersey than when I use regular
water bottles.  The difference in performance is dramatic.

> The Baron doesn't like going slow ...

It looks as though it was designed for speed.  How comfortable is the seat?
Do you have to crane your neck forward at all to view the road ahead?

> Thanks, just replaced the chain 2 days
> ago and the headset needs fixed, I should
> be getting a titanium main idler and
> Conti Grand Prix's from Hostel Shoppe
> tomorrow...

I've heard lots of good things about them.  I spoke with them about a tandem
trike a while back but the wife and I haven't decided if we're going to do
that much tandem riding.  She likes to meander along a tad faster than a
walk.  I like to maintain a moderate pace.

> Google branded lycra shirt and tights
> next week, carbon fiber seat in a month
> from Holland. Then sometime this
> summer comes the tail fairing...
> Aerospoke wheels....carbon boom...
> Ultegra crank... Someone told me
> once it's an addiction, no idea where
> they get that from.

I can't imagine where anyone would get that idea.

> (this page should give Mike something to play with)
>>
>> That's very kind of you.  He apparently has very little to play with. :^)
>
> Other than a tape recorder I tend to agree

He can always go out to the side yard where that nicely painted van is
rusting away on blocks and pretend he's driving.