Re: Voip Problems?

Crash Gordon=AE wrote:
> That's EXACTLY how I do it...and I buy a new brad point and bell hanger f=
or each job. Could be the humidity is non-existant out here so the wood is =
really dry...even putting masking tape didn't help too much...only slightly=
 splintered one of 20. Time consuming being so nervously careful...if I mon=
ge one up I end up losing money.

Crash, I'm going to give you something that I learned, while working on
boats.

When drilling into fiberglass, if you start out with *any* kind of
drill bit, the gel coat ( the overcoating that goes over the color
layer) splinters and takes pieces of fiberglass with it from around the
drilled hole. Primarily because it's brittle.  This leaves the
uncolored fiberglass, showing all around the edges and can sometimes
splinter a big chunk of the color coat away, making for a pretty ugly
sight. A way to avoid this is to push the point of the drill bit into
the fiberglass with some amount of pressue and run the drill backwards.
If you make the indentation deeper than the angled tip of the bit .....
then slowly run the drill forward, you'll find that the tearing around
the edge of the hole is reduced considerably. This works especially
well when drilling into vinyl at all times of the year. Sometimes, here
in the cold climate, in new construction, the vinyl on doors and
windows can crack from being cold. Running the bit backwards, heats up
the vinyl and then it drills a lot better.

Another way of course, is to start with a smaller drill bit and work
your way up. But, time consuming. But sometimes, depending upon the
material, just a few bit changes will do it. And, of course, once you
break through, any sharp bit will do. Masking tape helps ..........
only sometimes.

I've never tried this with a brad point bit, because I've gotten used
to using standard point. But, just thinking about it,  it just might
work better than a standard tip bit.

I expect we can all be prepared to see this show up in Bass's FAQ.

By the way, are you really using a "bell hanger" bit or a flex bit? I
can see using bell hangers in new construction, where you can see where
you're drilling, but I use all flex bits, regardless. No reason to
carry two kinds of bits when one will do. The flex bits are so much
more maneuverable.