Re: User Code Change!

news:Uf2dncvqYPiTjFPfRVn-1w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Already have a Garmin, don't care for the ones
> > that talk tho, the biggest hassle is figiring the
> > route, where nearby towns with hotels are etc.
> >
> > Google Local is an excellent tool for that
>
> On a whim I bought a new Honda Odyssey a few weeks ago.  It has a Garmin
(I
> think) GPS navigation system built into the dash.  The talking feature
> includes speech recognition which is very handy.  The reason I mention it
is
> this unit not only has extensive street and highway information.  It also
> lists almost every gas station, hotel, restaurant, etc.  You can even
select
> restaurants based on the type of cuisine.
>
> I assume someone has or soon will have a hand-held or bar-mountable unit
> with similar capabilities.  The bike unit probably won't include controls
> for left, right and rear A/C, 6-CD changer and rear DVD player of course,
> but it should be trivial to include a decent database of hotels, bike
trails
> and so forth.  You might want to do a Google on the subject.  It sure
beats
> carrying a bunch of maps and phone books around, especially if you're
> planning a multi-state tour.

What I have noticed about GPS devices is they are great to tell you where
you are but not good for planning or finding anything, at least for the
smaller units like my EMap, I normally just use it to find a better road
within the area I'm at.

Hotels etc can be loaded onto the GPS with Garmin's software however I don't
do that to save memory. better to plan it with Microsoft Streets & Trips
first.

> Speaking of tours, I'm hoping to have spare time next year to do the
Trace.
> Have you ridden it yet?  It's supposed to be one of the most scenic bike
> routes in this part of the country.

No but I will likely be doing the Finger Lakes in NY late August,
www.bentrideronline.com has an event going