Re: Devcon Buys Out Coastal Security, Adelphia, & Guardian

mikey wrote:

> Funny you mention Tom. Yep, I recognized the marketing expertise within days
> of wandering in here.
> How do you think I've lasted this long? I hit him up for some advise years
> ago. I can't remember all the details but there was some juicy stuff, and
> lots of it, much of which I put in to practice. He may not remember though
> but I am very tolerant of that sort of thing as I deal with it on almost a
> daily basis. Now I'm a tad worried about you too. I hit you up for some
> idears as well... The newsletter was one I put in to use but unfortunately I
> let it slide... some of my gals really enjoyed it too.

Can't let the Newsletter slide or it loses it's value. I've been
sending out my
Newsletter for so
long now, I've lost track. I send it once every quarter. A single sided
page, no frills
no color or pictures. Just in four newspaper columns format with a
heading. I start
typing and in about an hour I've got to start editing it to keep in on
one page. Some
things I write about are seasonal, such as being careful in shopping
malls and
parking lots. Locking doors and lighting etc. Since I've been writing
it for so many
years now, I sometimes go back on 10 year old issues and pick an
article to update.
I pull statistics out of the trade magazines and articles out of the
local newspapers,
that apply to my clients. It's a way to inform them about such things
as VoiP and
DSL hookups and about things such as medical alerts for their parents
and the home
theater and residential computer networking I can do for them. I always
put a
paragraph in about my boating experiences just to add a little personal
touch.
You can't imagine the response I get from this. People drop me notes
with
their checks, wishing seasonal good tidings, and when ever I go to
their homes,
they've always got a comment about the boat or something that I've
written about.
In a few cases, I've been requested to send my newsletter to members of
the
household who've moved away and live in other areas.

In your case, there's got to be a Gazillion things in the local papers
regarding the elderly that you could write about. Subscribe to a
retirement
 magazine or two to pull information from and just write briefly about
it
and give the source or where more info can be obtained, telephone
numbers
 etc. You'd be surpprised how quickly a single page will fill up with
useful
 information.

I used to schedule talks at the local library, regarding household
security.
 I'd bring control panels set up on boards and show people what they
could
 expect if they were looking for a security system for their home.
Get's
your name around town and some additional work too. In your medi alert
business, I'd be making constant efforts and making arrangements to
speak
at retirement clubs. Make it an annual thing. Bring some handouts and
some
 giveaway pen's or flashlites with your name on it.

I'm sure that there's got to be some census information available
either at
some public office or the library regarding the demographics of elderly
folks.
 In the US we have a directory available in libraries that lists people
by a
multitude of factors. Once getting their address, there's lots of ways
you can
 market to them. Leave brochures in doctors offices. Just drop them off

occasionally. Find cardiologists and other doctors that would have
patients
who would need your serivices. Just leave it on the magazine tables.
You'd
 be surprised how many people will pick them up.

I used take note of where the well-to-do areas were, and put door
hangers
on their mail boxes or door knobs, as I was passing by. I did that for
years
 because mailing and yellow pages didn't work. In your case, with the
medi
alert, keep in mind that if you market to only elderly people, most
times
 they just don't have the money and wouldn't think of asking anyone
else
 for it.  It's actually to their children and relatives, that CAN
afford to get
 it for parents, etc .... for THEIR convenience, and peace of mind,
that
would be an important source of your business.

I think the most important thing I can say about advertising is to
budget it,
don't elimiate it just because you're not getting an immediate
response. Just
 set aside a specific amount a month and make sure you spend it. And
keep
 it constant. People may not use it the first 20 times that they see
it, but
once they see it constantly, it's in their mind the next time they or
someone
 else mentions it and they know right where to look to find you. Small
local
 paper, co op with someone who deals with elderly, like insurance
agents,
or other companies providing services to the infirm. Local private EMS
companies would be an example.

> I am actually doing quite well and bag some retirement homes from
time to
> time. I just subscribe to the credo: "If your warm and happy in a pile
 >of shit, keep your mouth shut"

I could just never not keep trying to get that next sale. Keep in mind
that
you only have to try 5% harder than the next guy to put you in the
upper
 80% of successful businesses.  And don't be afraid to test the market
occasionally by asking for more money. If you miss a job or two,
because
of price, you can always revert. If you don't try, you'll find that
you're
getting a lot of work and not making any money. Balance your work load
 by the prices you charge. That works for me. You don't have to give
away
 the store to get business.

That's just my .... off the top of my head...... take on it. You may
already be doing some or all of it. but I thought it may help