Re: Devcon Buys Out Coastal Security, Adelphia, & Guardian

And I assure you Mike that I meant no disrespect when I asked those
questions. I truly wonder how you do it sometimes. I do consider you a
personal friend in the business. I was a bit concerned that I might have
across a bit too "heavy" in my post to someone I respect.

I know it often seems strange that I can offer free service and 100%
warranty, but in actual fact, it is built in to my rate...$2 a month per
customer for service, and $1 a month for warranty. The original rate model I
used at startup suggested these rates and it was some years before I was
comfortable with them. However, detailed records I have kept tell me I'm far
ahead of the game. I pay myself (sort of) $1700 a month to service my 850
accounts and pay myself (again sort of) $850 a month to warranty all my
systems. I have few trouble calls besides batteries and customers changing
doors or windows. Last year was my biggest year's worth of expenses when I
had five panels destroyed by lightning strike. This year so far, nothing of
the sort. And the real benefit is that I can offer my clients a truly worry
free alarm system, without them having to worry about the usual limitations
and fine print clauses !! My profit margins are more than high enough for
me, and most of what I would get if I raised my rates would simply go to
Revenue Canada.

I actually welcome service calls because I get a rare chance to schmooze
with my customers. And frankly, with my son doing most of the heavy duty
stuff now, I still want to stay involved on the installation side. I know
you've met David, and he is turning out to be a valuable asset to the
company. He's one of the best installers I've ever seen, and he is fabulous
with people. He's even starting to show me better ways to do certain things,
and that's always a good sign when the student is starting to show the
teacher new tricks. I think I will have no difficulty turning over my
company to him knowing it's in good hands.

Hope to see you again in person sometime soon....perhaps the Xmas party at
the station.  Hope all is working out OK on your side

All the best

RHC

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html