Re: Hijacked thread! Somebody call Team America!

R.H.Campbell wrote:
> Frank, one other thing I have noticed. Offices of all types seem to generate
> an inordinate amount of dust. I think it comes from the amount of paper that
> is used in an average office. I had an AMD system start to do the fan
> "buzzing" thing, then I started to smell that foul smell of plastic burning.
> I immediately shut the computer down and opened it up. Seems the CPU fan was
> totally clogged with large balls of dust, which almost cost me a CPU.
>
> If you're gonna run your computer 24/7, and it's one used in an office, it
> might be a good idea to open the case once a year and vacuum it out
> thoroughly. I couldn't believe the crap inside this computer...

Good point, Rob.  There are filters available and they do help, but
there's no way to completely seal a case (and you wouldn't want to since
that would hinder airflow around the components).  Never leave your CPU
sitting directly on a carpeted floor.  Set it on a piece of plywood or
other hard, easy-to-clean surface.  You can get yourself one of those
computer cleaning kits from your local electronics shop.  Rat Shack used
to sell a nice one, but it was a bit "pricey" for what you got.