Re: PIR vs. Computers

robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>Unless you're using your computer as a fax machine or server leaving it "on" and completely unattended isn't a good idea...
>

> Wrong.  Your PC will last longer if you never shut it off than if you
> do so daily.

I wasn't suggesting he turn it off daily.  Your reading skills haven't
improved much, have they??

>>A fan failure could result in damage to your machine, for instance.
>

> I've been using personal computers for decades.  My first was an Apple
> II.  I've had at least four machines running all the time in my office
> for over 15 years.  To date I've had exactly one fan failure.  That was
> on a server that has three fans so there was no real heat buildup
> anyway.

Uh-huh...  try unplugging the fan for your CPU and see what happens.  I
don't care how many fans you have built in to your case, a failure of
the CPU fan will put a major "damper" on your day.

>>It's best to turn it off and unplug it from the wall.
>

> You could also disassemble it and place each component in its original
> shipping container each night if you want...  :^)

Excellent idea!!  About as good as running a short 6' length of wire up
into the attic from a door contact and then splicing it (as you had so
unwisely suggested in a forum of alarm professionals only a few days ago).

>>If you're going away for any length of time, unplug your appliances and TV's as well.
>

> Don't forget to power down the fridge each morning before you leave for
> work, too.

Heh...  Or you could just put your those items that require
refrigeration in the garage (depending on where the OP is located)...
:-)

>>More importantly (and depending on where you are) in colder weather, make sure you leave a set of keys with a friend or close aquaintance so they can check on the
>
> house every two or three days.
>
> That will keep the PIR from falsing, right?  :^)

Yup.  They could keep the fish alive if they fed them while they were
checking things out too.

>>Some home-owner's policies I've seen have clauses that state the insurer considers the house "abandonded" (with respect to any cold weather related claims that may arise) if no one's been there for more than 72 hours...
>

> What a crock of Olson.  Do you sit up all night thinking this stuff up?

Nope.  Spent a number of years working in an office of independent
insurance adjusters.  I thought you knew that about me.

>>In Edmonton (where I lived for about fifteen years), that was a pretty standard clause.
>

> Was that before or after the time you claim to have snap-rolled a 737
> at 5000 feet AGL?

Where/when did I claim that??

>>Turn off the water to your toilets and to the hot water tank (it's a good idea to shut off
>
> the gas to the tank or turn of the electric breaker to it as well).
>
> Uh-huh.  Turn off the gas supply in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada when you
> go away for more than 72 hours.  I wonder if the insurance company
> considers burst, frozen pipes an indication that the house has been
> abandoned or if they simply chalk it up to absolute stupidity.

You *really* have a problem reading, don't you??  I would suggest a few
remedial courses at the local high school.  That would probably help you
study for the State alarm licensing exam as well...